*Turtle Season – Mid-November to Mid-February.
Turtle Tour* and Kosi Mouth
Where do we go?
• Bhanga Nek Beach – Turtles
Part of the Greater ISimangaliso Wetland Park is where the marvel of nature unfolds in this prime nesting ground for the endangered loggerhead and leatherback turtles. The tour includes a 4-10km walk along the beach to look for turtles coming onto the beach to lay their eggs. These fascinating giants that weigh up to 450kgs lay over 100 eggs at a time, or hatch some of them, depending on the time of year. It is sometimes possible to view both laying and hatching on the same night's walk. Bhanga Nek is home to small isolated communities that have inhabited the area for hundreds of years, living off the land and overcoming great adversity in their struggle for survival. Not least of the experiences here is the star gazing made possible by clear night skies away from it all.
• Kosi Bay – Fish Traps
A traditional adventure at the Kosi Bay Mouth with local fish traps that are over 600 years old. Enter the woven fish traps with a local guide to try your hand at traditional spear fishing. Kosi bay is home to the African fish eagle, and there are flamingos as well as other rich bird and animal life.
• Kosi Bay – 2-hour Boat Cruise on the Second & Third Lakes
A 2-hour boat cruise on the second and third lakes of this 4-lake system with usual sightings of hippo, bird, and some fish. The area is also home to crocodile and small game. The lakes vary in salinity resulting in a rapid change of ecosystems. With more than 250 species of birds, Kosi Bay is one of only two environments in South Africa that naturally attract the rare palm nut vulture.
• Zamimpilo Community Market
Zamimpilo Community Market is sustainable tourism at its best. It's an impressive market of more than 100 stalls, and it's run with creative efficiency to provide a seamless experience where you can access hand-made African arts and crafts. It's an ideal souvenir stop and an opportunity to support local communities. You can taste seasonal fruit and vegetable, and hear first-hand stories of how the art is created.
Is this the tour for me?
- Yes, I have At Least 2 Full Days Available to tour (if you have less or more than 2 full days that's okay – check out our other options or talk to us!)
- Yes, I want an Unbelievable Night Looking for Turtles on the Beach
- Yes, I want to Get Away from the Crowd and have a Unique Experience
- Yes, I will enjoy a Boat Cruise (aboard a comfortable ferry) to view wetland wildlife
- Yes, I like Nature and Wildlife
- Yes, I'm interested in Photography
- Yes, I'm interested in Star Gazing
- Yes, I want to support attractions with Community Participation
- Yes, I'd like to see or purchase Handmade African Souvenirs and support Sustainable Tourism
What did others say?
"Exceeded All Expectations!!!!
Thanks to our expert guide we were able to give full attention to this incredible adventure in areas with few people
surrounded by nature's beauty.
Our guide made this first trip to South Africa a memorable experience, and I already look forward to returning."
What's included in the tour package?
- Pick up and drop off within the Durban metro area
- Entrance fees
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Accommodation x1 night
- Private Luxury Lodge (Or Beach Camp option by special request)
- Breakfast x2 days
- Morning coffee/tea & muffin
- Continental breakfast
- Lunch x2 days
- Picnic lunch at Bhanga Nek Beach
- Restaurant at Kosi Bay / Spear Fish Braai (Barbeque) (catch/time dependent with a take away plan B)
- Dinner x1 night
- Picnic on the Beach
- Limited Alcoholic Drinks
- Bottled water
- Local snacks
- Use of binoculars
- Fully attending experienced tour guide
How long will we need?
- 2 days
What can I add on?
• Additional Night & Day
So when can we leave?
We look forward to our pre-planning chat, so we can build in your preferences and requirements into your itinerary.