*Requires a valid passport. Please contact us for visa requirements.
Drakensberg Mountains - Sani Pass* & Kamberg Nature Reserve
Where do we go?
On route from Durban to the Drakensberg peak, we stop in Underberg, a picture perfect town in the foothills of the Southern Drakensberg. Here we visit a local store that sells the iconic traditional Basotho blankets that are worn in the Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho.
• Sani Pass
A breath-taking experience that makes you feel like you're on top of the world! Sani Pass, located on the western border of KwaZulu-Natal and the Kingdom of Lesotho, is the exclusive route that makes a spectacular drive up to the top of the Drakensberg possible. The summit of the Sani Pass crosses the peak of the Drakensberg reaching an altitude of 2876m (or 9400ft) above sea level. The gravel winding dirt roads permit only 4x4 vehicles to ascend the 9km pass. Lunch is served at the Highest Pub in Africa! The drive down the pass is full of beautifully captivating hills and valleys.
• Kamberg Valley
Best described as heavenly, Kamberg Valley lies at the heart of the Drakensberg Mountains. An afternoon spent unguided in the peace and tranquillity of these valleys where wild flowers and sunset reflections in the river make the perfect place for clearing your head and rejuvenating the soul. Surrounded by mountains, this is one of the most scenic places in the country, and its where this mountain tour spends the night star gazing. The fresh Berg air and the breath-taking sunrise of the next morning make for the perfect start to the next adventure.
• Kamberg Nature Reserve (moderate hike)
Kamberg Nature Reserve with its picturesque views, hills, and valleys is home to the Game Pass Shelter Cave. The region is known for its collection of mysterious ancient San Rock Art Paintings. The site is understated as it holds arguably the best preserved San Rock Art or Bushmen Cave Paintings in the Drakensberg region. To see the rock art, we take a moderate 8km return hike with the first 3kms increasing gradually in height while the last km is fairly steep, and the return trip is mostly downhill on the same path. A local guide interprets the cave paintings to impart wisdom and understanding of the ancient culture.
• Local Kamberg Village and Homestead
A visit with local villagers in their homestead just outside the Kamberg Reserve adds context and cultural experience to the tour. It includes a traditional meal in the homestead in the company of people who call this beautiful mountain range home.
• Local Traditional Healer
An authentic cultural opportunity to meet and talk with a local traditional healer who would be happy to share his experiences of life in the village in the past (apartheid) era, as well as in the current context.
• Nelson Mandela Capture Site
The Nelson Mandela Capture site marks the beginning of Madiba's historic 27 years in prison. The iconic world-renowned sculpture is a powerful symbol of the long walk to freedom that made this South African freedom fighter the first democratic President of South Africa, ending a long struggle against the apartheid era.
• Howick Falls & Community Craft Market
Howick Falls or "Place of the Tall One" is a 95m waterfall, and is the second highest waterfall in South Africa. Legend has it that the rock pool at the bottom of this falls is home to a cryptid called the Inkanyamba. There is an informal community craft market with locally made crafts in the area.
Is this the tour for me?
- Yes, I have At Least 2 Full Days Available to tour (If you have less or more than 2 full days that's okay – check out our other options or talk to us!)
- Yes, I want to visit The Drakensberg Mountains
- Yes, I want to Reach the Peak of the Drakensberg Mountains in a 4x4 Adventure Experience
- Yes, I want to Hike in the Drakensberg Mountains
- Yes, I like Nature, Beautiful Scenery, and Wide Open Spaces
- Yes, I am interested in History, Culture, or Traditional Medicine
- Yes, I want to Meet Local People and have first-hand experiences in the community
- Yes, I'm interested in Photography
- Yes, I'm interested in Star Gazing
- Yes, I want to support attractions with Community Participation
- Yes, I'd like to see or purchase Handmade African Souvenirs and support Sustainable Tourism
What did others say?
"Our trip was by far the best guided tour I've been on.
Exceptionally organised, prepared, knowledgeable and easy to get along with, my son and I immediately felt comfortable with our guide.
He gently delivered his extensive knowledge through engaging stories and humour.
We covered a lot of Drakensberg and drove through roads that most South Africans wouldn't know existed...
Experiencing the magic of the local people, the mountain ranges, and the wildlife."
What's included in the tour package?
- Pick up and drop off within the Durban metro area
- Entrance fees
- Transport in an air-conditioned 4x4
- Accommodation x1 night
- Private Luxury Farmhouse Lodge in a Mountain Valley
- Breakfast x2 days
- Morning coffee/tea & muffin
- Continental breakfast
- Lunch x2 days
- Restaurant (Highest Pub in Africa)
- Traditional lunch with villagers in homestead
- Dinner x1 night
- Traditional South African Potjie in the mountains (a stew slow cooked in a cast iron pot on a fire)
- Limited local Alcoholic Drinks
- Bottled water
- Local snacks
- Use of binoculars
- Fully attending experienced tour guide
How long will we need?
- 2 days
What can I add on?
• Fly Fishing with Local Guide
Try your hand at fly fishing, and enjoy some flavourful trout with a passionate local fly fishing fanatic. Explore the rivers and streams of Kamberg with a local guide who grew up with these landscapes forming his back yard.
So when can we leave?
We look forward to our pre-planning chat, so we can build in your preferences and requirements into your itinerary.