Emdoneni Cat Rehabilitation Centre, ISimangaliso Wetland Park (St. Lucia) & Community Craft Market
Where do we go?
• Emdoneni Cat Rehabilitation Centre
Emdoneni Cat Rehabilitation Centre is a rare and ethical opportunity to get up close and personal with the African wild cat, serval, caracal and cheetah. The rehab centre makes remarkable contributions to the conservation of these revered cat species. Emdoneni provides a safe haven to cat species injured or orphaned in the wild. The project prides itself on a history of successful release.
• St. Lucia Town
St. Lucia is a small holiday town in the middle of 3 wildlife reserves. With only one main road, wildlife sightings in the town of St. Lucia are common-place.
• ISimangaliso Wetland Park (2-hour boat cruise on Lake St. Lucia)
The miracle and wonder of ISimangaliso Wetland Park made it South Africa's first world heritage site. While on a 2-hour cruise on the estuary system, there will be close encounter(s) with hippo, and possibly crocodile. The park's birdlife is incredibly abundant and includes the African fish eagle. Lake St. Lucia is surrounded by reserves on either side – giraffe and elephant sightings on the banks are not uncommon.
• Zamimpilo Community Market
Zamimpilo Community Market is sustainable tourism at its best. It's an impressive market of more than 100 stalls, and it's run with creative efficiency to provide a seamless experience where you can access hand-made African arts and crafts. It's an ideal souvenir stop and an opportunity to support local communities. You can taste seasonal fruit and vegetable, and hear first-hand stories of how the art is created.
Is this the tour for me?
- Yes, I have One Full Day Available to tour (If you have less or more than 1 full day that's okay – check out our other options or talk to us!)
- Yes, I want to visit a Wildlife Sanctuary
- Yes, I like Wildlife, Nature and Conservation
- Yes, I want Up-close-and-personal Experiences with Wildlife
- Yes, I want Rare Photo Opportunities of Myself with Wildlife
- Yes, I will enjoy a Boat Cruise (aboard a comfortable ferry) to view wetland wildlife
- Yes, I'm interested in Birding
- Yes, I'm interested in Photography
- Yes, I'm interested in Local Arts and Crafts with Community Participation
- Yes, I'd like to see or purchase Handmade African Souvenirs and support Sustainable Tourism
What did others say?
"We had so much fun with our guide that we decided to book an additional tour visiting the Emdoneni Cat Rehab Centre
and going on a boat cruise to see hippos and crocodiles.
We were able to learn about cheetahs and other wild cats and even pet some of them, which was amazing!
I also got some great photos of hippos during the boat cruise."
What's included in the tour package?
- Pick up and drop off within the Durban metro area
- Entrance fees
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Bottled water
- Local snacks
- Morning coffee/tea and muffin
- Restaurant in holiday town of St. Lucia
- Cocktails on a boat cruise / Limited Alcoholic Drinks
- Use of binoculars
- Fully attending experienced tour guide
How long will we need?
- 12 hours
So when can we leave?
We look forward to our pre-planning chat, so we can build in your preferences and requirements into your itinerary.