Durban City Tour
Where do we go?
• The Durban Port
The Port of Durban is rich with history, culture, and activity. It is the harbour that put Durban on the map since it's believed to be where Vasco da Gama named the place Natal in honour of nativity, back in the late 1400's. Strategically situated, Durban is the busiest port in the country and has become a major hub on the east coast of Africa.
• The Golden Mile
Durban's Iconic Beach Front – South Africans and tourists alike know that Durban's warm beaches with their golden sea sand are an all year round treasure. The golden mile is a vibrant, diverse, and true Durban experience that offers the best of surfing, swimming, fishing and more.
• Kenneth Stainbank Nature Reserve
A green lung and a slice of wildlife right in the middle of the city of Durban. The 253 hectare nature reserve is home to zebra, various buck including bushbuck and impala, blue, red and grey duiker, monkeys, mongoose, bush babies and dassies. Kenneth Stainbank Nature Reserve is one of the best preserved examples of Indian Ocean coastal forest in the area. It offers lush scenery and trails for those who want to hike, walk, or mountain bike.
• KwaMuhle Museum
Walk through the hallways of the KwaMuhle Museum, a building whose walls tell the story of Durban's past. This is the old "Native Affairs" building which has been transformed into a museum that tells the story of the old system through exhibitions and sculptures.
• Phansi Museum – A local Museum and Gallery
The Phansi Museum is a national monument housed on Esther Roberts Street in Durban. The street commemorates the anti-apartheid activist Esther Roberts, and the museum is built in the Victorian style house that was her home. The gallery's world-renowned collections consist of historic and contemporary traditional African Art.
• Hare Krishna Temple of Understanding
The Hare Krishna Temple of Understanding is in the heart of Chatsworth, which was an apartheid era Indian community area. The energy in this temple rises to the brilliance of the lotus inspired architectural design and all its exquisite finishes. It is the largest Hare Krishna temple on the continent.
• Durban Botanical Gardens
The Durban Botanical Gardens is home to one of the rarest trees in the world, the Wood's Cycad. Among its features, the gardens have a diverse collection of tropical and indigenous orchids. Established in 1849, Durban's Botanical Gardens is the oldest surviving botanical garden in Africa.
• Victoria Street Markets
A walk through these vibrant stalls of Durban's oldest market is a bustling and cultural experience not to be missed. The Victoria Street Markets are a showcase of Durban's diverse cultural mix in its clothing, meat, spice, and traditional medicine markets.
• A local hotspot for a Bunny Chow Lunch
Experience a traditional Durban Indian dish consisting of a curry in a bread bowl.
Is this the tour for me?
- Yes, I have One Full Day Available to tour (If you have less or more than 1 full day that's okay – check out our other options or talk to us!)
- Yes, I want to visit a Holistic View of Durban in a full day
- Yes, I'm interested in Local Culture
- Yes, I'm interested in Local History
- I don't want to spend long periods in a vehicle
- Yes, I'm interested in Local Arts & Crafts with Community Participation
- Yes, I'd like to see or purchase Handmade African Souvenirs and support Sustainable Tourism
What did others say?
"From start to end there was great communication and service.
Didn't have to worry about a thing, tons of outdoor knowledge
and I had an amazing time."
What's included in the tour package?
- Pick up and drop off within the Durban metro area
- Entrance fees
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Bottled water
- Local snacks
- Morning coffee/tea and muffin
- Traditional Durban bunny chow (Durban Indian dish – curry in a bread bowl)
- Fully attending experienced tour guide
How long will we need?
- 8 hours
So when can we leave?
We look forward to our pre-planning chat, so we can build in your preferences and requirements into your itinerary.